If you are looking for a way to lock your garage door, or if you are looking to replace the locks on your current one, this post will assist you in determining the type of locks that are best for your needs. We will talk about the benefits of each to help you determine which is right for you.
Clearly, there are many different types of garage door lock out there, but these are just the major ones that may work best for your needs.
So, let’s get started.
Manual Garage Door Locks
Manual garage door locks are perhaps the most common and simplest type of door lock. The main difference between the two is that a remote-controlled garage door lock requires pushing the style button automatically, which is the automation service. Manual locks, on the other hand, require a person to manually open and close the door.
However, many professional carpenters have replaced these lock mechanisms with a remote control set so that they can operate their entire home in one single motion. You can still find them in some homes, however. Being the most common of all garage smart door locks, most people are familiar with how they work and how to fix them when they don’t.
Pros of Manual Garage Door Locks
- No backup battery supply is required for manual locks, which means that the lock is there for the duration of your life. It does not need to be replaced every few years.
- They are inexpensive to install and can save a huge amount of money in the long run when you consider that over time, you will have to replace your current manual garage door locks every few years if you do not change them out at least once per decade.
- Can be very simple to use, with no additional parts or tools needed.
Cons of Manual Garage Door Locks
- The main con of manual locks is the fact that they can be difficult to use. Old people, pregnant women, and children often have a difficult time using them.
- Some people do not like the fact that with manual garage door locks, you must take a moment to get it open instead of just pressing a button and getting it to instantly open for you.
- Because the lock is operated manually, it can break if used too much or too roughly on a regular basis.
Remote-controlled locks, as the name suggests, are a type of garage door lock that is controlled by remote control. The main benefit to this type of lock is that you can open and close your door from inside or outside your home. This eliminates the need for anyone to be outside in inclement weather trying to get into their home or garage. Additionally, you don’t need to be skilled to operate a remote-controlled garage door lock. For the most part, they are no more difficult to use than a manual lock.
Pros of Remote-Controlled Locks
- Remote-controlled garage door locks are convenient and easy to use. You can open and close your garage door from inside or outside your home.
- They come in many different lengths, so you can choose one that best fits your needs. Most people have a standard length for their garage doors, but on occasion, you may want something higher or lower than this to accommodate a wider or lower-quality door opening mechanism.
- No additional security tools or parts are needed for the installation process.
Cons of Remote-Controlled Locks
- Battery-operated locks can be prone to failure over time, especially if the batteries are not properly installed. In some cases, you can replace the batteries, but this is only possible in some cases.
- They have an extremely high additional replacement cost. Depending on how old the lock is, you may need to replace the entire thing instead of just needing parts to fix it up.
- Unlocking mechanisms are often faulty after a few years of use. If you live in a cold climate area, this can be particularly frustrating because you will find that the remote access control does not work as needed.
Read More: Can Thieves Open Your Garage Door
Electric Garage Door Locks
This type of lock uses a magnetic lock which is activated by an electric current. This means no outside power outage is needed, which can be convenient if you do not have access to electricity at all times. Additionally, they are relatively easy to operate as well.
Pros of Electric Garage Door Locks
- They are relatively affordable. Many locks for doors are not an expensive upgrade, but they can come at a reasonable price point. If you have the money to spend, it is worth the investment.
- No battery is required to operate these dependable locks, which means that they will work for the duration of your life. They are also easy to install and put into place if you choose this type of lock as your option.
- They are easy to operate, and no additional tools or parts are needed.
Cons of Electric Garage Door Locks
- Electric locks can short circuit if they are not installed properly or if they come in contact with water. This means that you need to keep them away from high heat and direct sunlight to avoid these issues.
- They can be more difficult for children and old people to operate, which can make them frustrating to use in some cases.
- You do not have the option to use both an electric lock and a remote-controlled actual locking mechanism at the same time. You must choose one or the other to be installed correctly on your door.
This type of lock is exactly what it sounds like; it uses a key role to operate. There are two versions of this type of lock: deadbolt and lock cylinder. Popular types of Deadbolt door locks are most commonly found on exterior doors, although you can get them for indoor applications as well.
Pros of Keyed Garage Door Locks
- With keyed locks, no additional energy is needed to open or close your door. You do not need to rely on an outside energy source for this type of lock. It will work regardless of whether you have electricity in your home or not.
- Keyed locks are easy to install, and most people already have the tools and parts needed in their garage already. You do not need to purchase any additional tools or parts to put into place these traditional door lock types.
- They are also quite cheap, often under $100 per lock. If you are in a budget-conscious situation right now, keyed locks may be the best option for you.
Cons of Keyed garage Locks
- The main disadvantage to keyed locks is that they require a key to operate and thus will break after a few years of regular use if you lose your key.
- If you forget your key, you must get a team of locksmiths to unlock the door, which can be very expensive in some cases.
- They can be hard to operate in cold conditions, which is common in most areas of the country during the winter months.
Door Sensor Locks
Most garage doors are equipped with a sensor to ensure that they are closed before the garage door is powered on. However, if you were to leave your garage door open, the power would still be on, which is not a good thing when you have young children around. This type of lock stops the power from being turned on if the door is open. This can also be a great safety precaution if your kids are prone to leaving their toys or bikes in front of your garage door.
Pros of Door Sensor Locks
- These locks have an auto-reverse feature that will make sure your door is closed even if the power is on. You do not have to worry about leaving your doors open when you do not want them to be, and you do not need to worry about accidentally turning the power on or off.
- They are relatively affordable, coming in under $100 for the most part. Yet, these locks have many of the same features as other more expensive locks.
- They are very easy to install; you do not need any additional tools or parts for easy and firm installation.
Cons of Door Sensor Locks
- This type of lock can be problematic in cold weather conditions, which may make it difficult or impossible to open or close your garage door.
- As they are sensor-activated, you must also make sure that they are always properly calibrated to ensure that the door will close properly.
Excluding the garage door opener and garage door extension, all other types of garage doors are operated by a gate-style lever. This type of lock is operated by a spring-loaded lever that must be pulled before the door can be opened. The most common forms of this type of lock are pushbutton levers and rotating levers. Once you have pushed down the lever, you simply pull it back up to close the door again. A pushbutton lever is a more recent innovation, and you can often tell if a garage door has one by looking at its handle. If we are talking about lever handle locks, If the handle is horizontal, it is a push button lock. If the handle is vertical, it is a rotating lever lock.
Pros of Level Garage Door Locks
- As garage doors were designed for the most part in the 1930s, this type of lock is very common and is easy to install.
- They are more affordable than many other types of locks for garage doors.
Cons of Lever Garage Door Locks
- This type of lock can be difficult to operate if you have any disabilities or suffer from any kind of chronic pain. Operating it becomes harder if you are in pain because it requires you to use both hands and pull on the lever with a great deal of force.
- They can be very hard to operate, even for people with good motor skills. This can be frustrating in some cases.
Automatic Garage Door Locks
Automatic garage door locks are perhaps the most advanced type of lock. These types of locks have an electric motor that powers the door and is programmed to open and close the door in response to a control device. This type of lock is great if you are travelling since you simply enter a special code into your remote control or keypad lock when you park your vehicle, and it will open and close on its own once parked. If someone is out of town, you can program the lock to act as usual.
Pros of Automatic Garage Door Locks
- Automatic garage door lock is great because it allow you to lock, unlock and program your door quickly and easily without having to get out of your car or turn on the remote entry door locks.
- Some automatic kinds of locks even have an anti-theft feature that will sound an alarm when someone tries to access the garage without permission. You can even program the lock to respond to a specific access code only you know, based on how you want your garage door to be operated.
- They are very easy to install, and you do not need any additional parts or tools for installation.
- They can be a great DIY project for homeowners who want to improve their garage doors.
Cons of Automatic Garage Door Locks
- These garage door locks are usually more expensive than other types of locks.
- You must make sure you have enough backup power supply to run your lock. If your home does not have a great deal of power, automatic garage door locks may not be the best option for you.
Common Question Related to Type of Garage portable Door Locks
What is a Double Lock?
A double lock is two locks that are on both the garage door and the garage door opener. Since these smart locks are so small and easy to install, they can be installed on most doors. The idea of a double lock is to provide an added extra layer of security level for your entire garage door system. This type of lock requires two different keys to operate properly.
What is the most secure type of lock?
The most secure type of lock is actually a double lock. There are two different locks, a garage door lock, and a garage door opener lock. The main advantage of this type of lock is that you have to have the correct key for both to properly operate the garage door. This means it will be virtually impossible for someone with a key to your opener to be able to break in and take your car or any other personal items from your home.
What are Slide Locks?
Slide locks work by a sliding latch that must be pushed in order for the garage door to open. You lift the slide up and then pull it down to raise your garage door manually. This is a great first lock if you only need one, but it can be expensive.
What are Deadbolt locks?
Deadbolt door lock types are the best. They are the strongest and most secure locks you can install on a garage door. This wide variety of locks is equipped with a single-cylinder lock that is used to make sure the deadbolt cannot be thrown or broken with force. You must use two separate keys to operate these locks, however, which doubles their levels of security factors as well.
What are T-handle locks?
A t-handle lock is operated by a horizontal or vertical handle. The main advantage of this type of powerful lock is that it can be operated from within your car, though you must have the correct key to do so.
What are the Differences Between T-Handle and Pushbutton Locks?
Pushbutton locks are a newer and less common option than t-handle locks. Their handles are not horizontal or vertical in nature, but rather, they are flat with a button on the side that you push to open the garage door.
What are Garage door defenders?
Garage door defenders are small metal bars that sit outside the garage door and can be used to jam any tampering with the garage door. These are great for houses with children or teens that want to open the garage door remotely, but they must be tied down securely to the frame of your garage in order to prevent them from falling over.
Hopefully, this article has provided you with some great insight into the different types of garage door locks available. The next time you are in need of a new garage door lock, be sure to ask the contractor about what he or she feels is the best option for your home. The cost of a garage door installation could be far less than you think because of the design features that you add to your home. This is one of the reasons it would be a good idea to discuss our garage door locks with the contractor prior to making your decision.
Which type of lock option is right for you? This really depends on how you want to use it and what features are most important to you.
Thank you for reading!
Read More on Garage Door Locks and Security: