If you want to secure your garage door from intruders, then choosing the right lock is essential. There are several types of locks available out there, each with their pros and cons.
If you’re looking for a lock that will keep your family safe from intruders, look no further than our guide on how to choose a garage door lock.
What is a Garage Door Lock?
A garage door lock is a device used to secure your garage door when it’s closed. It prevents unauthorized people from entering your home through the garage door.
Types of Garage Door Locks”
There are mainly two types of garage door locks: manual and automatic. Manual locks require you to manually open and close them. Automatic locks work automatically with sensors that detect motion and sound. They usually have an internal keypad where you enter a code to unlock the door. You may be able to find both manual and automatic garage door locks at your local hardware store.
Manual vs. Automatic
The main difference between these two types of garage door locks is whether or not they need a battery backup. Battery-powered garage door locks are more expensive because they use batteries instead of electricity. However, if you want to ensure that your garage door remains locked even during power outages, then you should consider buying a battery-powered lock.
Check out our detailed article on Automatic vs Manual Garage Locks!!
Features to Look For When Choosing a Garage Door Lock
When choosing a garage door lock, there are several features to consider. Here are some things to look for when shopping around:
- Security Rating – The higher the number, the stronger the lock. Most manufacturers offer a rating system based on the strength of the lock. Some companies use the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) standard, which rates the safety of different types of locks.
- Keyless Entry – Many modern garage door locks include a keyless entry feature. These allow you to remotely access your garage without having to insert a key into the lock.
- Remote Access – Some models let you control the lock from anywhere using a remote control. This makes it easier to monitor who enters and exits your garage.
- Anti-theft Features – Some locks come equipped with anti-theft features such as deadbolts lock, chain locks, and panic bars. This help deters thieves from breaking into your garage.
Garage Door Lock Maintenance Tips
If you’ve just installed a new garage door lock, here are some tips for maintaining its performance:
- Keep Your Keys Safe – Store your keys inside a safe place. Thieves often break into homes looking for valuables like jewelry and electronics. Keeping your keys hidden will make it harder for burglars to steal them.
- Use a Quality Lock – A quality lock won’t rattle or squeak. It also shouldn’t stick or jam.
- Clean Your Locks Regularly – Dirty locks attract dirt and grime. To keep your locks clean, wipe down the exterior of the lock once a week.
- Change Out Your Locks Every Three Years – Changing out your locks every three years helps prevent wear and tear.
Things to consider while buying Garage Door Lock
Garage door locks are important for your safety and security. They help you keep intruders out of your garage, home, or business. You should also know that there are many different types of garage door locks available in the market today. This is why it’s essential to choose a good one that will suit your needs. Here are some things to consider when choosing a new garage door lock:
Many modern garage door locks come with built-in sensors that alert you whenever anyone tries to tamper with your lock. These sensors can even detect movement from within the house.
If you live in an earthquake zone, then you should choose one that offers earthquake resistance. Also, look for a lock that includes a lifetime guarantee.
Some locks allow you to install them yourself while others require professional installation services.
The price of a garage door lock varies depending on the brand and model. Look for a lock that fits your budget.
When shopping around for a new garage door lock make sure that you buy from reputable companies. Ask friends and family about their experiences with these companies.
Are all garage door locks the same?
No, not at all! There are many different kinds of garage door locks available today. Each type comes with unique benefits and drawbacks. You’ll find that most manufacturers offer a wide variety of options.
Can you replace the garage door locks?
Yes, you can replace any type of garage door lock. However, if you want to change out your current lock, you may need to purchase a replacement unit.
How much does it cost to replace a garage door lock?
The price of replacing a garage door lock depends on several factors including the brand and style of the lock. In general, the average cost is between $100-$150.
How do I unlock my garage door without a key?
Many newer garage doors now come with a keyless entry system. With this technology, you can open your garage door by pressing a button on your remote control.
A garage door lock plays a vital role in keeping your garage secure. Choosing a good one is essential for your safety and security as well as the safety of those who enter your property. It’s best to get a lock that meets your specific requirements.
For more information about garage door locks, write to us at [email protected].